Translate

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Fresh Summer Salad With Shrimp

So this is my first attempt at posting a recipe!

I cook a lot during the week, but most of the time I am trying other peoples' recipes that I find on the internet or in books. I keep a Pinterest page full of recipes that I want to cook and one of recipes that I have already attempted, along with reviews. Last night, I was inspired by a recipe for a summery salad with fruit in it; but by the time I was finished grocery shopping and creating, my salad looked nothing like my original inspiration!

Fruit in green salads is not usually my favorite, but it was so hot out yesterday, that it just seemed right. Also, when I looked at the stove and felt the heat coming from our non-air-conditioned kitchen, I knew that I needed to stay out of there for the night. What a great excuse to use the grill!

I had picked up some shrimp for a different recipe, and realized that they would be the perfect accompaniment for a salad that needed to satisfy Cody's bottomless stomach while still being light and sweet. I seriously enjoyed all the flavors in this salad, and it made such a beautiful dinner that I couldn't help but take a picture. Cody originally thought he would need to eat more, but after he finished his salad, he said he was full! If this salad can fill up my husband, I guarantee that nobody will leave your dinner table hungry ;)

Let me know if you enjoy it!



Fresh Summer Salad with Shrimp
Serves 2

Salad Ingredients
20 uncooked shrimp, frozen or fresh
2 cups fresh spinach
2 cups iceberg lettuce (or any green you prefer)
10 strawberries, sliced
1 green apple, cored and chopped
1 peach, pitted and thinly sliced
1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
1 tbsp capers, or olives
1/2 lemon, cut into 2 chunks

Shrimp Seasoning
**I used a premade seasoning from Key West, Florida, called Ocean Motion, which includes:
Dried Mustard, Ginger, Allspice, Garlic, and Coconut
3 tbsp Olive Oil
4 skewers
1/4 lemon

Dressing
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
juice from 1/4 lemon

If using frozen shrimp, thaw under cold running water in a colander. Let rest in refrigerator until thirty minutes before dinner time.
Place shrimp in container and drizzle with 3 tbsp olive oil. Cover in dry rub of your choice (you can make these sweet, savory, or spicy- whatever flavors you like will compliment this salad!) and shake to coat evenly. Use as much dry rub as is necessary to coat all 20 shrimp. Let the shrimp marinate for 20 minutes at room temperature.
Meanwhile, pre-heat grill and assemble the rest of the salad ingredients onto two large plates or bowls.
Put 5 shrimp on each skewer. Before placing shrimp on grill, take a rag with olive oil on it and grease the grates of the grill using long handled tongs. Grill shrimp for about 4 minutes on each side above direct heat.
While shrimp is on grill, whisk together dressing ingredients. 
Before pulling shrimp off the grill, squeeze 1/4 lemon across the top of the shrimp.
Place finished shrimp on the side of assembled salad and serve with dressing on the side, and a lemon wedge for squeezing onto the shrimp.
Dig into this guilt-free pleasure!!


No comments:

Post a Comment